New Metro service improvements go into effect | News
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19)- After more than a year of planning and community input, Metro has gone forward with numerous service improvements.
Metro's comprehensive "go*Forward" transit plan includes:
- New Metro*Plus limited-stop service to test the concept of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in the Montgomery Road corridor.
- New east-west routes to reduce the focus on downtown transfers.
- Service to new destinations including the new Mercy Health West Hospital.
- More routes connecting at the Glenway Crossing transit center and park & ride.
- More service options in some major travel corridors.
- Improved efficiency and productivity.
Beginning the week of Aug. 18, the first improvements go into effect, including:
- New Metro Plus limited-stop service – connecting the Montgomery Road corridor from Kenwood to Xavier with Uptown, downtown and The Banks – will begin operating on Monday, Aug. 19. Customers can ride the new Metro*Plus route free during the first week of service from Aug. 19 through the 23.
Beginning Aug. 18, Metro is adding two new crosstown options connecting east and west:
- Rt. 41 Glenway Crossing-Oakley Crosstown: Rt. 41 has been expanded to serve more westside locations connecting the Glenway Crossing transit center, new Mercy Health West Hospital, and the North Bend Road corridor with Oakley.
- Rt. 51 Glenway Crossing-Hyde Park Crosstown: Rt. 39 will become part of the new Rt. 51, connecting the Glenway Crossing Transit Center to Uptown and Hyde Park.
Several routes have been streamlined to improve efficiency and travel times, based on ridership. Some heavily used routes are getting more service. Some of the major changes include:
- Rt. 1 Museum Center-Eden Park: Route has been streamlined and shortened to serve key destinations better.
- Rt. 32 Glenway Crossing Price Hill: Rt. 10 will become part of Rt. 32, with new all-day service connecting the Glenway Crossing transit center, Price Hill and downtown.
- Rt. 64 Glenway Crossing-Westwood: Better connections to shopping in Western Hills for Westwood residents.
Additional changes are planned of December. All changes are being made within Metro's 2013 operating budget.
New bus schedules for the Aug. 18 service change are now available online at www.go-metro.com.
Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.