Opening statements begin for father accused of killing toddler | News
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19)- Opening statements are being held Wednesday in the trial for a father who is accused of killing his 2-year-old son.
Prosecutors say Antrone Smith beat and burned Damarcus Jackson in 2011.
hear from the coroner that there were so many injuries to Demarcus that she had
to make charts to demonstrate all of them," said Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier.
The defense says Smith did not intentionally cause the child's death.
"Those injuries have absolutely nothing to do with the death of little Marcus," argued Defense Attorney Perry Ancona, representing Smith.
Jackson had been in foster care and was returned to his biological parents just two months prior to his death.
Smith is charged with capital murder. If convicted, he could get the death penalty.
Jury selection began on Monday.
Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.